Wednesday 8 September 2010

Hotly Debated Topics in the Nature/Nurture Debate



One of the most ongoing debated topics since the early 1800's is the topic of nature vs. nurture, or more recently referred to as Nature/Nurture. Nature/Nature poses the question where do you get your personality traits from? Did you inherit them from your parents or did you learn them due to the environment you were raised in? The trait I researched was intelligence, and how intelligent people become intelligent. Before I started my research I was convinced that intelligence came from nature and that smart people had just inherited it from their parents. But then I learned that with intelligence, like any other of the Nature/Nurture topics, it has to do with both, and not just one or the other.
The reason I was convinced that people inherited intelligence was because I thought about how intelligent people can come from any kind of environment, and be anyone on the planet. To follow this idea up with evidence, I read about a test that was done that separated a pair of twins at birth, and put them both up for adoption. Although both children were raised in different environments, it was proved that they had inherited the I.Q. of their birth mother, instead of their adopted one. After reading this I thought, if children can inherit their parent's eye color and nose, why can't they inherit their intelligence as well? For me, this was substantial evidence that intelligence mostly came from nature.
However, then I started researching the nurture side of the debate. At first I was very opposed to intelligence coming from nurture because I interpreted it as scientists saying that, for example, rich people were naturally smarter than poor people just because of their environment. But after researching a study that proved that a child gains 3.5 I.Q. points every school year if they go to a good school, this unfortunately proved that children that are better off have a higher I.Q. then children who are not so fortunate and are therefore smarter. After further research I discovered that although intelligence may vary according to different sitautions, for the most part a child who is taught the best material and pushed to succeed will come out into the world successful, which is substantial evidence for the nurture side of the debate. So, my research concludes that intelligence does indeed have to do with both nature and nurture.
However, you might be wondering if my opinion throughout the process has changed, and am I now in favor of nurture instead of nature. The answer is probably yes and no. I am definitely more in favor of the nurture side of the debate then before and I do agree that it plays a big role in raising a child's I.Q. and helping them be more successful in the world. But, stubbornly, I still belive that a child can inherit intelligence from any one member of his family and use that natural intelligence to rise up among the social classes and be just as successful as the child who was pressured to succeed. However rare it might be, it is often enough for me to conclude that there is an almost even tie between nature and nurture referring to which cause intelligence.
http://wilderdom.com/personality
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article
http://www.angryharry.com

3 comments:

  1. Very well written, Maddie - excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like doww you interact and conected the ideas in the debate of intelligence. One recomendation would be to support better your idea

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a very interesting view on it! I agree that it comes more naturally. However some people, if they try hard, can get good grades!
    -Natalie hernandez

    ReplyDelete